Aug 19, 2013


Wireless charging can revoke very different reactions among the mobile community. Many find it an awesome feature that they can't live without, while others see it merely as a gimmick. I fall on the awesome side of things and had the opportunity to review the new Vu wireless charger from our friends at TYLT. Let's take a look at how this unique charger performs.

Design
TYLT has taken a rather diffferent approach to the VU charger. The design is very similar to a bookstand, and I find it quite appealing. The VU has somewhat of a 45-degree angle which allows for good viewing angles of video or slideshows while charging. There is a soft touch coating over the entire device to help prevent any harm towards your mobile device, and I found this a nice addition.

Size
The size of the VU is a gift and a curse. The stand-like design requires much more real estate than competing Qi chargers. If you don't have at least a good 6 inches of desktop space, then the VU may not be a good option. However, the larger size makes this a great solution for the new Nexus 7! I was disappointed that the Qi modules in that the two devices don't allow for charging in portrait orientation, but they work like a charm in landscape.

Cost
As with many Qi chargers, the VU is not the most cost efficient. The retail price is $69, and unfortunately, is currently out of stock on the company's website. While I find the cost worth it, I know many will not agree. However, as popularity of Qi chargers rise, I'm sure we will see more competitive pricing from OEMs in the future.

Charging
All of the other features of the VU wireless charger are irrelevant if the charging isn't up to snuff. I am happy to report that I saw no issues in this department. It produces the same output (5 volts), and the charge times are on par with that from standard USB measures. I would like to see a microUSB charging port to power the VU instead of a proprietary solution to allow the use of existing cables, but it may have been to lessen complaints over the required 12 volts of input needed for the VU.

Conclusion
I found the VU to have a solid build quality and unique design. I was more than happy to take up the additional space needed to have a dedicated Qi charger for my new Nexus 7. I would have loved to have the tablet charge in portrait, but hey, you can't have everything. Overall, I recommend the VU wireless charger to anyone who is in the market for one (that is as soon as it becomes available again). You can sign up to be notified, via email, on future availability of the VU on TYLT's website.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus