May 15, 2013


Ever since moving from Windows Phone to Android a little over a year ago with the Galaxy Nexus, I've been all in with Android since then. Up until that point, I'd been looking for a replacement to all of the wonder that was webOS. I thought I'd found it in Windows Phone using the HTC Radar, but it was not meant to be- that's another article for another day. Then came Jelly Bean on the original Nexus, and then the beautiful Nexus 4 was released- unlocked and carrier free - I was all in on Android.

Last summer, I purchased a Samsung Chromebook 550 to backup my work-issued Lenovo Laptop with Windows 7. The Lenovo has horrible battery life, and the full-sized iPad I was using at the time just didn't cut it with the limitations it had. The Chromebook has everything I need in one package- great keyboard+touchpad, dual monitor support, great sound, and 5 to 6 hours of battery life. I was a bit skeptical about having Chrome OS replace Windows, but it's been a refreshing experience, and I can do pretty much all I need to do on the web with Chrome OS.

With a Nexus 4 and a Chromebook in tow, I have surrendered my life to all things Google.

Here's what I'm hoping will come out of Google I/O this week:

On a new Nexus phone

The Nexus 4 has been my daily driver since its release last November and consider it the best phone I've ever owned to date. If a new Nexus is announced, I'd like to see a better camera, since it's my primary shooter. Google Now has been a real treat to have around, and I hope we see it improve with a version 4.2.x update.

On Android OS

I don't hesitate to compare Jelly Bean to webOS with its implementation of a great notification system and deep integration to Google services (read Synergy). Rather than seeing a full version update of Android (Key Lime Pie), I'd like to see Google improve on Jelly Bean and services like Google Now and perhaps some sort of synergy between JB and Chrome OS.

On Google Wallet and mobile payments

Yes, I'm that nerd that enjoys paying for his stuff by waving his phone in front of cash register machines. The confused look I get when I do that is priceless. It's convenient to not have to fumble with my wallet and credit cards. I'm hoping Google will continue to develop in this area. More NFC terminals at popular shops wouldn't hurt either... just saying.

On Chome OS

Since using the Chromebook full time, I've come to believe Chrome OS is setting itself up to becoming the OS that will overtake Windows on desktops (there, I said it!). The simple fact that I can sign into my Google profile on Chrome OS and have all of my data in front of me in seconds is reason enough to keep it around. I'd like to see more offline apps make a showing. New packaged apps like Google Keep run well with or without an Internet connection. I'll be keeping my ear tuned to any news related to Chrome OS.

On Google Talk, Voice, Notifications and Google+ Hangouts

It's rumored that Google will announced its new unified chat platform named "Babel" at I/O this week. This will integrate Google Talk and Google+ Hangouts into a single service complete with notifications across the Chrome browser and Chrome OS. I currently use all of these services separately and would like to have a central point to have access to them all. Improving the notification system in the stable build of Chrome OS would be a big plus.

On the Chrome browser

I feel the Chrome browser is as good as it can get right now. The ability to access my open web pages and bookmarks across all of my devices has been a God send. I still, however, have issues with Chrome stealing CPU and memory from my desktop causing it to crash on occasion. Granted, it has gotten a lot better, but it's still an issue for me.

On Google Glass and wearable accessories

I've been intrigued with Google Glass since it was demonstrated to the world at Google I/O 2012. I don't think it's something I'd wear myself, but if its current price of $1,500 was brought down to more reasonable terms if and when a consumer version is released, I may jump on it. A smart watch, however, is something I'd seriously consider. Consumer wearables are big this year and I'd like to see Google develop in this area.

I could probably go on, and on. Considering all that Google and company have announced leading up to the event, it's going to be an exciting week!

For information on Google I/O events visit this link, or stay tuned to TechXaminer for updates!

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus