May 24, 2013


This past Friday night I went to a recital for my daughter's dance school, and I saw a familiar phenomenon. There were parents in the stands of a local gym pouring over with pride to see their little princesses have all their hard work pay off. However, there was an oddity in the way they were visually taking in the event that evening. I would estimate one third of the parents viewed the entire recital through the display of their smartphone.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy recording my daughter from time to time, but most of the time I never watch the recording. Instead the video ends up, not for my use, but for social networking. It made me wonder just how many of these parents were recording snippets of the recital for someone else. I'm sure there are other family members that will view the video via Facebook who couldn't be there in person. Either way, it makes for an odd paradigm surrounding the way we view live events.

People witnessing events in person may no longer have a first hand recollection of the event itself. They will, however, remember the recording of the occasion. Instead of enjoying being completely in the moment, the viewer may be thinking of what they will do with the video clip. Will it end up on Twitter, or maybe Facebook? How many likes will it get once I post it? I'm not saying we do these things consciously, but one has to wonder.

I will be the first to admit that I am a gadget addict. I have a hard time unplugging at times, and I am not afraid to say that aloud. However, I can't help but feel that many of us just don't enjoy the life in front of us more often. Instead we are seeking some sort of online social status. Sometimes you just need to create memories for you, and you alone.


  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus